Sunday, July 31, 2011

NaNoWriMo.... because I'm sure you want to read about my concerns again!

Well... this November I'd pretty much decided I was going to write a murder mystery. But now... I'm not so sure. I tend to work faster when I've only got the beginning and the end and maybe the middle point mapped out.... and over plotting is actually what killed me last year. Unfortunately, mysteries require a ton of plotting. And I'm really just not quite up to it.

So I've got two choices:
a.) go back to square 1 OR
b.) continue plotting this novel and hope that my brain will be able to handle it. (even though I'm about 99% sure I can't handle it. My brain is slow.)

Sadly, I've got a lot of fun characters planned for this story. I recycled a lot of my old ones that I'd forgotten about (Elsie, Vermeer, and M.D. the Nurse, just to name a few!) and I think I'd have a lot of fun playing with them and re-discovering their quirks. On the other hand, Mysteries are mostly plot-driven, and I pretty much always have more fun while working on a character-driven story.

Therefore, I think I'mma gonna go with option A. Or... at least explore it. If I can't decide on another plot to use, then I might just end up working with my original mystery. At any rate, I'm not just gonna box all my dusty old characters up and stick 'em back in the dusty section of my scull. I bet I can come up with some ways to use them all, regardless of what I ultimately end up doing...

No comments: