Thursday, April 14, 2011

Happy birthday, Beowulf!

Beowulf the Heroic Pom-Yorkie mix is, as of two days ago, officially three years old.

He was born the day before Easter in 2009, which earned him the very strange original name of "Calvary", which, bye-the-way, was the name of a hill that multiple people, including Jesus, were crucified. It means "Place of the Scull". When we got him, we changed his name as quickly as we could... which actually wasn't that fast. there were six people who had totally different name choices. Kievan wanted to name him something like "Augustus" and Mommy wanted to name him "Porkie" (he WAS pretty fat) or "Rhett Butler" and every one else had similarly strange name choices. We ended up calling him "Dog" for a few months, which finally stopped when my friend Charlotte came over for her yearly visit and was horrified by our lack of creative naming skills. She promptly told us, "Well, I'm gonna call him "Beowulf the Hero" until you think of a better name." We never did think of a better name, so his name is Beowulf. Strangely enough, I've had people not remember my name but walking up to my dog and saying, "OH! Beowulf the Hero! I remember him!"

The only problem with naming your dog Beowulf is that if I ever get another dog I'm gonna be stuck with names like "Gilgamesh" or "Cyrus the Great" or something.

Oh well, sorry for the rant, and happy belated birthday, dearest dog who will never read this blog post! (that was exasperation, just so you know.)

No comments: